Sunday 28 February 2010

From The View Of The Onlooker- Doctor Who Part 2- The Second Doctor

Windows Live Spaces
http://cid-fe92a95eabbaabb9.spaces.live.com/default.aspx?wa=wsignin1.0&sa=917996713


Wadup my non-lethal, and also psychotic fanlings, here is the fifteenth entry. But lets first check the virtual mail box of convenience…cos’ who doesn’t like mail



…I didn’t…I didn’t know that…um…didn’t see that coming

Jess Townsend- Sorry for not replying to your comment before (it was due to timing, sorry), that’s not usually like me

And will my entries be seen in the future—Of course. Why, well I like to think that I’ll become the biggest thing since buttered toast

Okay, maybe Im being too egotistical, but it is likely that my blog will be seen in the future. By which methods, who knows…

Oliver Smith- Okay, even though you may have had a bad day when writing on my last entry, Im glad you like my Blog. Hope you stay on as a fan in the future, so that eventually I will have a fan army large enough to STOP THE MARTIANS!

Nah, but seriously, hope you keep on as a fan

Shelly Hayes- Thanx for defending me back then, but everything has been resolved now, so…thanx for defending me, but we’re okay. I also guess its shown have great a fan you are :)


Okay, now that I’ve checked my mail equivalents of useless ads (Fan Abuse FTW), lets move onto the entry at hand…which is the second part of my Doctor Who entries, dealing with the second Doctor :D



Ahh, the 2nd doctor…he was a great improvement over his predecessor, played by the common character actor, Patrick Troughton (again, you won’t know him…in fact, that goes for every Doctor, just for clarification). While the 1st Doctor was a grandfather-ly figure who always seemed to an intellectual superior to all, the 2nd Doctor was making the transition to eccentric uncle, and though he kept his major intelligence, he was more willing to take a pro-active role in events (due to his younger age). But possibly the greatest phrase to describe him is this

He was a cosmic hobo

And no, not like…



No, he was just kinda…different, which would be built upon by later incarnations (most popularly the 4th doctor). He was a welcome breath of fresh air to fans, and by this stage in doctor who history, it looked like the show had a future, which must have been invigorating back then…

Okay, that last sentence seems to smart…even for one such as me (I mind-rape you all)

His true personality was that of a clown almost; he almost always seemed to act childish in a situation (like his keen use in the recorder…as in the instrument…F**k it, I’d rather call it a flute, its more common), but it was clear to most of his companions that behind this behaviour lay a hidden intelligence. This allowed him to play situations into his favour, and it added a kindness that allowed him to relate to all his companions. Yet beside this, he later developed a dark streak of ruthlessness, particularly against known enemies like the cybermen and Daleks. For example, he-

-Made sure that a group of weaponless Daleks on a ship would all die

-Sent an Ice Warrior (Martian lizards, basically…we could learn to kill Martians from the Doctor) fleet into the sun

0.0

This was the first real development of the Doctor’s dark side, and it was known to both scare and alienate his companions. And on that note, his multitude of companions were-

-Another Cockney…godammit, what’s with all the Cockneys

-A rich-ish B**ch

-A Scottish fellow

-An adult orphan…how does that work?

-And a young female scientist…but girls can’t be scientists…heh heh

Notably however, there are two people that need to be mentioned that the Doctor met on his travels. Firstly, was the Scottish fellow, Jamie McCrimmon


(That’s pure Scottish looks right there… :P)

This guy was one of the Doctors longest serving companions, but only in the sense that he met another of the doctors incarnations (the sixth Doctor…Im going to be dealing with him pretty soon…sigh)

He even died with the Doctor, killing some Cybermen on Marinus (I…know it’s a planet, but that’s it)

And the second person is possibly one of the Doctors most famous ‘companions’ ( I think he only started travelling later), Sir Alistair Gordon Lethbridge-Stewart, or more commonly known as The Brigadier



This guy was kinda like the spiritual predecessor of Jack Harkness, and he certainly was popular in the same effect that he seemed cooler than the Doctor…Ehh he wins against the second Doctor, but that’s not really saying much…lol.

The Brigadier’s popped up in Doctor Who history more times then people have compared Takeshi’s Castle to Total Wipeout (makes Total Wipeout look like a playground), and for good reason; he was a great character, a prime English Military person, and who doesn’t like that. He also formed UNIT, which in a way was also a spiritual predecessor to Torchwood, though we’d only see more of UNIT in later years.

Bt3 though

The Second doctor’s life ended rather ironically when the Time Lords finally decided to take action against the Doctor jumping through history…at least they didn’t do it later, that would have been kinda r**arded. They were first planning on executing him (Killing the Doctor FTL >:( …FTL FTW :) ), but due to interference from the Celestial intervention agency (try saying that 5 times fast…actually you’d probably get it…dammit), he allowed to regenerate instead, however, he would be exiled on Earth in the 20th century (much to his bother). This paved the way for the Third Doctor and the omnibus-like stage of Doctor Who’s life, but I’ll save that for the third part in my tribute series.

On my list of Greatest Doctors, he comes in at-



He comes in at 8th, one better then Hartnell.

Like near every incarnation of the Doctor, it wasn’t that he was bad, that would be the opposite of who (who lol) he was, but it was just that most of his traits seem under developed compared to later incarnations, which you can’t really blame him for, but in my list, Im comparing performance without any issues, so…yeah, he comes in number 8. Sorry Patrick…



Ehh…I think he lost it during regeneration…its just not as effective

I first want to say that for my past and future Doctor who related entries, I want to give credit to Doctor Who Wiki for giving me information. I forgot to mention it last time (I’ll have to edit that), but it’s the thing that’s giving me all my confirmed information. Without it, I’d know C**p all about past Doctor Who, so I give my credit. Theres a link below if you want to check it out, which I’d suggest actually-

http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Doctor_Who_Wiki

As always, post a comment on what you thought of this entry and other things, because without your help, I wont be a great blogger…Im improving though, which is awesome

As Im writing this, I’d also like to say that Im making a new background for my Blogger page (because the dark blue is kinda boring), and that in a couple of weeks, im hoping to upload…but don’t think so soon, because its acting a complete b**ch…sigh

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the suggestions in one of your earlier posts. I have seen a few of the more recent doctors to get a "taste", however, I just wish I had all of them lying in front of me so I can sit and go one by one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you've sold Paddy a bit short there, Onlookey. He pretty much invented the Columbo-style, bumbling, child-like, gleeful-foolishness-masking-an-inner-power-and-fury thing that David Tennant did so well, and was a much more layered and complex Doctor than Hartnell and many of the later ones could manage. Poor, unappreciated Paddy!

    ReplyDelete